Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday musings

I tried to add a post late last night from my Treo, but kept getting an error message. I wrote about writing from a Treo and how it connects to what Lankshear, Knobel, Kress and others call new literacies. It was interesting to be writing on a such a small screen and getting frustrated at how small the screen was. I'm so used to composing on a computer that now screen size is an issue. Kress is certainly right when he says we have moved from text to screen in contemporary times.

In my work with teachers, new and veteran, I wonder how to avoid pedagogizing new literacies or simply colonizing out of school literacies for school purposes. Whose purposes are those anyway? I have already seen "lessons" in keyboarding and other "skills" that make me worry about what on earth schools think they are supposed to do. I think Gee's right when he says school are irrelevant these days. Necessary for success in a new capitalist world, but irrelevant to any sort of authentic meaning. Yet somehow, I don't want to give up on schools. Or maybe it's the children in them that I'm worried about. I see a lot of damage being done these days and I can't live with that.

1 comment:

Colin and/or Michele said...

Oooh--Keep persevering, Joanne! We've been thinking of getting treos, so I want to know if you *can* blog from them without too much hassle!