Sunday, April 18, 2010

Up late

I'm up late watching really bad horror movies on the SyFy channel and wondering why I haven't posted in such a long time. Every time I think of posting I get stalled by the realization that I have gone way too long without writing.

Writing has been going well otherwise. My colleagues and I have submitted a bunch of pieces on our three year ethnography of a local change initiative to a few journals. They were a long time coming but worth it I think. I co-authored three of the bunch. I'm happy to have finally gotten back to writing. The two years my son was in residential placement, and then his long-awaited move back home took me away from scholarly writing. Funny that I was able to post here during that time. Now that I have done some research writing, I have procrastinated posting. Twitter is much easier.

I've also become the director for our local National Writing Project site so writing has definitely taken a prominent place in my life these days. I am really looking forward to my first summer institute and plan on writing alongside the fellows by focusing on the book about Marcus and our journey together. I have some stories written but need to get a lot more down.

I'm about to get pretty busy with the writing project and my new appointment as program chair for AERA's 2011 conference in New Orleans. I am honored Kris asked me for sure and our theme brings together a lot of ideas she and I have been working on for a while. We hope to bring educational research to a focus on the public good.

Plus my good friend George Moses came to me with a fabulous idea and an offer of partnership in building a community school. His 41 years of community activism are coming to focus at last and I look forward to working with him.

So busy is good, right?

No comments: