Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Making a difference


Sometimes I make a difference.

Some days I wonder what difference I make but other days a student will come to me with something they did in their classroom or life that they say they did as a result of being in my class. Then I feel like I make a difference and that that difference matters to real people and matters in a way that engenders a change for the better. On those days I feel awesome and I feel like that is why I teach. On those days I can’t believe I get paid for this work.

But on some days the mountain feels so big that the small changes that happen from the work I do will never make a difference. Yet I’ve come to realize that difference is relative and that the differences I do make actually have a meaningful effect in that someone, even one person, has changed the way they see the world, see other people, and see literacy because they took a class with me. There can’t be anything better than that.

No comments: