Monday, June 2, 2008

Eyes Wide Open

Been really busy lately!

I'm teaching my summer class, Literacy Learning as Social Practice, again and am totally loving it. I really enjoy it as my students open their eyes and their minds. We have a great class with lots of honest and provocative discussions. My students always amaze me.

I received a letter from Geoffrey Canada notifying me that any use of the phrase "children's zone" is a violation of his copyright. Wow. So, I've had to go in and change some of my blog entries. Who knew. I have to admit I find this a bit over the top. Isn't the point to change lives, not to draw lines around words?

I worked with an amazing group of youth in the "community zone" (note the phrase change) last week on a proposal for a program they designed. If funded, we will design and implement a youth designed and taught literacy program that brings together artistic and "tech" kids to produce podcasts, music videos, a website...you name it. It will be so exciting.

Lots to do indeed.

1 comment:

glojo said...

The youth project sounds amazing. Good luck getting the funding. Wish I could collaborate with you on it, but such is the limitations of working at elsewhere.