Saturday, December 5, 2009

Radical love

I posted on Twitter the other day that I was having difficulty finding hope amid war, poverty, and hate. My good friend Colin commented that you maintain hope irrationally, count on good friends, and de Certeau and Ranciere. I loved it. Walking through the city with de Certeau makes me smile.

I do find hope in thinking deeply about humanity and our potential for love. A radical love is what it will take it seems. The stamina it takes to maintain a radical love of humanity is what is daunting in the face of horror.

The class I am teaching this semester, Race, Class, Gender, and Disability in American Education, has given me some hope as well. I was skeptical at first, but the students have proven me wrong. They have all moved from where they started and they trusted me enough to come along on the journey. I don't think they will ever see life the same. This has to be something. They will go on to be part of the next generation of teachers. I hope now that they "see", they will be part of the solution.

No comments: