Sunday, December 4, 2011

Figured out the starting point

After much tribulation, I figured out where to "start" with the book. At the beginning. I know this seems pretty uninspired but it got me unstuck. By the beginning I mean ontologically. I've reread Ranciere's The Ignorant Schoolmaster and am in the middle of a reread of de Alba et al's. Curriculum in the Postmodern Condition. I'm still feeling intimidated, but I feel like I do actually have something to say.

I need to make a clear argument, building on Ranciere, that schooling is based on an ontological flaw - inequality. That is, schooling assumes inequality between humans - those who know and those who do not. Ranciere's argument is that we must begin with equality. What I have to do is talk about what follows from this assumption given the contemporary context of schooling.

Ranciere goes so far as to say that, given an assumption of equality, teachers do not have to know that which they are teaching. He claims that the myth of pedagogy is that knowledge needs to be explicated (explained) so that the learner can learn. I can see that, but I can also see that this could be read as devaluing teachers (in fact some teachers have said as much when I talked with them about these ideas). I do think that depth of content knowledge leads to maximum pedagogical freedom. Seems to me that Freire's problem posing education accounts for both expert knowledge and equality by focusing on the problem, a problem for which no one knows the "answer". This way, everyone's knowledge comes to bear on the issue (goes to Bruns's equipotentiality).

Now to say all this in the book!

2 comments:

cj said...

Like the point about schools assuming inequality- but perhaps it is more about confusing inequality with difference. I'm always struck by what kids can achieve when allowed to organise themselves. They know who is good at what and seem pretty effective at utilising their different talents/skills/resources. School when faced with a problem assumes everyone has to know how to do everything. Might have been true when we lit fires to keep away the sabre-tooth tiger. Imagine making a movie in which everyone had to be good at everything!

Joanne Larson said...

Great comment, thanks! I, too, am constantly impressed by kids when we get out of the way. I'll think about the difference idea.